ONLINE VOTER TOOLS
Find below a collection of election engagement sites with registration and voter information, maps, widgets, webinars & more!
Featured Online Resource: Vote.org’s GOTV Peer-to-Peer Voting App!
From all the research, peer-to-peer texting is extremely effective in getting people to vote. Texting your friends to remind them vote is a really effective way to get them to the polls. A great free texting app from the Vote.org lets you do this in a just a few minutes. Search vote.org at the Apple or Android store for the free download, or go to these Apple or Android links After the 5-minute install, the app will let you access your contact list and tap to select whoever you want to send an election-related text to. An election-reminder message then pops up that you can use, change, or adapt for all the people you’re sending to. And you click again to confirm each person before it sends. So you’re completely in control, but it’s far faster and more efficient than doing it manually. CEEP hopes you’ll download the app and use it to help get our campus to vote.
The Student PIRGs' New Voter Project supports massive registration and "get out the vote" drives and provides support and a national voice for student groups involved in the election. They also have their own modified version of the Rock the Vote online registration tool, which you should use if you have PIRG chapter on your campus.
Launched by the League of Women Voters Education Fund (LWVEF) in October of 2006, VOTE411.org is a "one-stop-shop" for election related information including:
- State-by-state voting and registration information, with requirements & deadlines
- Online registration tool,
- Polling place finder,
- Candidate and ballot information,
- Absentee ballot information
- Ballot measure information (where applicable)
- Early voting options (where applicable)
- Election dates
- Factual data on candidates in various federal, state and local races
- General info on such topics as how to watch debates with a critical eye
- ID requirements
- Polling place locations
- Registration deadlines
- Voter qualifications
- Voter registration forms
- Voting machines
- Free Voter registration tool that you can embed on your website blog, or Facebook page to allow students to register. You can also brand it with your school logo and track voter registration information. (For campuses with student PIRG chapters, use the similar PIRG tool below). For details on ways to use the registration tool click here.
- Rock the Vote also has an excellent pledge to vote form with automated reminders.
NonprofitVOTE.org - works on helping nonprofits understand all they can do to engage their communities in nonpartisan election activity. Their resources emphasize ways to integrate voter engagement into your organization's ongoing activities and services. If schools (or community groups that their volunteer centers serve) are unsure about 501(c)(3) guidelines, Nonprofit Vote is an excellent source.
Project Vote Smart gives users access to candidates' and representatives' biographies, voting records, interest group ratings, issue positions, public statements, and campaign finances.
Project Vote Smart's Easy Vote interactive online tool allows users to compare their and presidential candidates' stances on 13 different issues. The site also allows users to explore candidate's political background.
866ourvote.org, from the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights, offers both a website and an toll free number to connect with voting rights experts who can advise you on issues relating to voter identification, registration rules and voter rights.
A new report, Got ID? Helping Americans Get Voter Identification provides an outline for how state and local organizations can stand up for democracy by helping voters secure the necessary ID. The report draws lessons from programs implemented by interviewees and details the best strategies that community groups are using to help voters ensure they’ll be able to vote.
Vote.org's website helps you get your absentee ballot in three easy steps. An excellent resource for students studying abroad!