At-Large Director Job Description
About CEEP and the Director’s position:
Campus Election Engagement Project (CEEP) is a national, nonpartisan, project working with colleges and universities to leverage their institutional resources and networks to help their students register to vote, educate themselves on candidates and issues, volunteer in campaigns of their choosing, and show up at the polls. We’ve been working steadily to engage campuses since 2012. In 2018 we provided materials and resources to 439 college campuses with a total enrollment of 4.7 million students.
For most of our target states, local state directors lead nonpartisan electoral engagement outreach activities, primarily by building and maintaining partnerships with faculty, staff, administrators and students on college campuses. We also reach schools through partner organizations in states where we don’t have directors and through individual schools that inquire about getting CEEP support. We’ve developed useful resources for schools throughout the country, from specific engagement approaches to our nonpartisan candidate guides. Our At-Large Director would use these resources to guide schools in states where we don’t have existing directors toward effective electoral engagement.
Working across these states, the At-Large Director will utilize email, webinars, and more limited direct phone outreach to larger schools. The Director will help schools work with key allies such as Campus Compact affiliates to gain access to the schools, and connect them with individual interested campuses.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to foster strong relationships and stay organized while working on long-term projects. Because this is a new position, you’ll be committed both to developing new ideas and promoting established models of engagement, while handling various points of contact with administrators, faculty and student government leaders.
This is a remote, contracted position with an hourly wage. Being a motivated self-starter is a must. Candidates can be located anywhere in the US. CEEP is a nonpartisan organization and candidates need to be committed to nonpartisanship and to helping engage all students on the campuses they work with.
The At-Large Director reports to the Associate and National Directors and is responsible for the following:
- Recruit and manage campus contacts, and work with them to assess the state of their engagement and use our resources and approaches to help them increase it.
- Respond to interest from individual schools and reach out to major individual schools in states where CEEP isn’t already working.
- Work with partners like the Compact affiliates to find ways to bring CEEP resources and approaches to their members. Reach out in collaboration with affiliates to help major individual schools increase their engagement efforts.
- Possibly manage a limited number of student Fellows.
- Learn where to refer schools on matters of state voter registration, absentee and early voting.
- Manage data collection of outreach, including contacts, resources distributed, and support provided to schools.
- Participate in weekly check-ins with the Director or Associate Director. Complete internal projects and tasks.
- Stay self-organized, submitting reports and projects in a timely manner.
We’re seeking candidates who excel in relationship building, are results-oriented, and have strong project management and self-management skills. You should have:
- A bachelor’s degree.
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Self-motivation, persistence, and the ability to excel in a remote work environment.
- Comfort in developing new initiatives and building some of the road as you travel. You’ll be figuring out ways to engage large numbers of campuses that we haven’t previously worked with, helping them use campus election engagement resources honed through our nearly 10 years in the field.
- Experience managing multiple projects.
- Commitment to the CEEP mission and vision of nonpartisan engagement.
- Ability to prioritize schools and levels of engagement with them. Knowledge of voter outreach practices and experience in campaign or higher education environments are both plusses but are not requirements.
Salary and Location:
This is a contract position reporting to CEEP’s National Director. Hourly fee based on experience (between $22 and $28 per hour). We do not currently offer benefits. This is an opportunity to work full-time from your location with a fantastic team of staff on the critical mission of getting students involved in democracy.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Daniel Schultz, email@example.com. CEEP is looking to fill this position no later than the end of August 2019.